Friday, May 8, 2009

Transcript - The Singin' Kid

Here's another one typed up by Agent0042.


"The Singin' Kid"

Written by David Schaye

Songs by Fred Newman and Dan Sawyer

Transcribed by Agent0042

Characters

Adam Rose as Peanut Otter

Jenell Brook Slack as Jelly Otter

Gina Marie Tortorici as Baby Butter Otter

Gwen Shepard as Opal Otter (title-reading only)

Chris Phillips as Ernest Otter

Eddie Korbich as Flick Duck

Bruce Bayley Johnson as Mayor Jeff

Chris Phillips as Munchy Beaver

Cody Pennes as Pinch Raccoon

Cody Pennes as Scootch Raccoon

Odella Otter

Opal: "The Singin' Kid"

(whimsical carnival music, scenes of carnival-goers)

Crowd: (chanting) Odella! Odella! Odella!

Jelly: I can't believe it. My favorite singer in the whole world, right here in Lake Hoohaw.

Mayor Jeff: Ladies and gentlemen, give a big, warm Lake Hoohaw welcome to Odella Otter.

Crowd: Ya'ay, ya'ay!

~~~The Biggest Little Thing~~~

[Odella Otter]

Ooh ooh ooh

Inside of me

There's a big great big voice

Sayin' "Go friend, I've got no choice"

I'm a star, got my limousine

My face is on the front of every magazine

This otter's gotta do what a otter do

Everybody's lovin' me now through and through

Stage and screen, yeah, I'm a star machine

I'm the biggest little thing to hit the scene

I'm the biggest little thing this lake has seen, yeah!

(song ends, crowd cheers)

Jelly: Wow, what a star.

(scene change, whimsical carnival music resumes)

Peanut: Are you ready, Dad?

Ernest: Ready!

Butter: Hee hee hee. Hee hee hee.

Jelly: Now!

(She, Peanut and Butter all toss balls which hit a target, dead-center. Ernest is dunked in a vat of water. All three laugh and Ernest makes funny faces and sticks his tongue out underwater.)

Mayor Jeff: (over sound system) Attention, please. The singing tryouts are about to begin.

Jelly: I gotta give this a try.

Ernest: Hey, where did everybody go?

~~~Talkin' About Hoohaw Lake~~~

[Flick]

A cut above the rest, ha!

We got love in a feathered nest

Where are all the chickadees agree

There's no place we'd rather be

We're flockin' and a'rockin', for goodness sake

Talkin' about Hoohaw Lake, yeah!

(Don't change, you're beautiful. silence, sound of crickets chirping

Tough crowd.)

(Flick exits the stage and Mayor Jeff takes his place.)

Mayor Jeff: Okay. Last, but certainly not least, we have Jelly Otter. (crowd cheers)

~~~From Our Heart~~~

[Jelly]

From the start

We take what we've been given

From our heart, everything that we do

Never part, from the love that we're livin'

And to our friends, we've gotta be true!

(crowd cheers and applauds)

Peanut: Jammin' Jelly. Way to go, Jelly. Way to go.

Mayor Jeff: (joining Pinch, Jelly and Flick) Well, I wanna say that all of the singers were really amazing, in their own way. So it was a very tough decision. But the judges have decided. The winner is... Jelly Otter!

Jelly: Wow, I'm the winner. Thank you, Mayor Jeff. Thank you, everybody.

Mayor Jeff: Congratulations, Jelly. Your song will be a highlight performance on the last day of the fair.

(Diagonal sidewipe to off-stage, where the others have gathered to congratulate Jelly.)

Butter: Jelly!

Peanut: Nice going, Jel.

Jelly: Thanks, Peanut.

Flick: I wish I could sing at the fair. But, I gotta admit it, Jelly. Ya' sure sang great.

Jelly: Thanks, Flick!

Pinch: You know, Jelly, you're going to be a star.

Jelly: Wow, a star?

(Scene change, Otter family household)

Jelly: (singing) Everything may come to you / But above it all you gotta be true! (stops singing and picks up a copy of "Otter Beat") Wow, singing at the Lake Hoohaw County Fair. I really hit the big time now.

(Fantasy sequence-- Jelly imagines herself standing in the spotlight on a stage, dressed up like Odella Otter. Flashbulbs pop, sequence ends.)

Jelly: Maybe I'll even get a record deal, like Odella Otter.

(A series of records is shown: "Jelly Otter," "Jelly - Who's That Otter?," "Jelly - Material Mammal" Crowd chants "Jelly, Jelly, Jelly!" Fantasy sequence ends.)

Pinch: Jelly?!

Jelly: Huh?

Pinch: Jelly?! Jelly?!

Jelly: Hey, Pinch.

Pinch: Jelly, it's time for our dress-up tea party.

Jelly: Sorry, Pinch. I don't have time for any dinky tea parties. After all, I'm a famous singer now. (Pinch looks shocked and walks away.) Wow, I've got a million things to do before my big performance.

Butter: Jelly play?

Jelly: No time! We have work to do. (She picks up a clipboard with pen and paper attached.) Okay, Butter. All famous singers need a personal assistant, so you will be my personal assistant.

Butter: Okay.

Jelly: I'm gonna need cool clothes and sunglasses.

Butter: Wata.

Jelly: A special hairdo. A private dressing room with fancy bottled water.

Butter: Wata.

Jelly: And lots of lots of little peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Butter: PB&J.

Jelly: Smooth, not crunchy.

Butter: Smooth!

Jelly: Have you got all that Butter?

Butter: (nods) Tee hee hee. (holds up the clipboard, which is full of scribbles)

(Scene change. Munchy and Peanut are playing outside, triumphant theme plays.)

Munchy: Space creatures have us surrounded, Ranger Peanut. We can't hold them off much longer. Especially with these cardboard tubes.

Peanut: Shh, we're pretending, remember? (heroic voice) Fear not, Ranger Munchy. Ranger Jelly and Ranger Butter will help us fend them off. (They head inside the Otter household, only to be stopped by Butter. She's standing outside Jelly's door, with now has a star with her name affixed to it.)

Butter: (putting his hand forward) Stop!

Peanut: Hey, Butter. Do you and Jelly wanna play Space Rangers with us? (Butter knocks on Jelly's door.)

Jelly: Sorry, no autographs right now. But if you leave your name with my personal assistant, Butter, I might be able to give you one later. (She closes the door, Butter holds her hands as if to say she doesn't get it either.)

Peanut and Munchy: Personal assistant?!

(Slide wipe to next scene. Peanut, Pinch and Flick are all gathered around a cardboard box with a number of items on top, dressed up as knights and princess.)

Flick: This is our best castle ever.

Pinch: And the prettiest!

Jelly: (loudly and off-key, dresed badly as a pop star) Sometimes things can go so wrong / But I know I'm not alone / Friends and family keep my strong / Deep down I know that I belong. (As she continues, she stumbles forward and the others start waving at her to stop. She pays no attention and ends up knocking over their castle.)

Peanut: Jelly, you wrecked our castle!

Flick: Why don't you watch where you're walking?

Jelly: Why don't you watch where I'm walking?

Pinch: Jelly Otter, what are you doing?

Jelly: Hmp. (She leaves and Butter tags after her.)

(Scene change. Triumphant music plays as the fair resumes.)

Mayor Jeff: (over public address system) Welcome, everybody, to the Lake Hoohaw County Fair.

Peanut: Whaddya you guys wanna do next?

Mayor Jeff: And now the main stages proudly present a special performance by Jelly Otter.

(Munchy, Pinch and Flick cross their arms and make angry faces.)

Peanut: Come on, guys. She is my sister and she's still our friend.

(The others give each other a look and nod. They all run to the stage. Backstage, Jelly is powdering her face.)

Mayor Jeff: Okay, Jelly, you're up next. Good luck.

Jelly: I'm ready, Mayor Jeff. (off-key) If your dreams seem oh-so-farrrr... (stops suddenly, coughs)

Mayor Jeff: And now, let's have a nice hand for a great young singer. (crowd cheers) Jelly Otter! Jelly Otter? Uh, excuse me, folks. I'm sure she'll be out here any second now.

(Peanut quickly grabs Butter and they run backstage. There, they find Jelly sobbing.)

Peanut: Jelly, what's the matter?

Jelly: (scratchily) It's my voice.

Peanut: What happened to it?

Jelly: Well, I guess I was just singing so much I overused it. Oh, Peanut, what am I gonna do?

Peanut: Hey, maybe your throat is just dry. Here, drink some lemonade.

Jelly: (still scratchy) Hey, that's great lemonade. (tosses the empty cup in the trash) Well, Peanut, I think there's only one thing left to do.

Peanut: You go buy me another lemonade?

Jelly: Actually, I was hoping we could a do a Noodle Dance. Please, Peanut?

Peanut: Well, I'll sing (crosses his arms) but I can't promise I'll dance.

Noodle, use your noodle

Noodle, do the noodle dance

Jelly: I've got it! I'll just take some magic voice spray and presto, my voice will be good as new.

Peanut: That'd be great, Jelly. Do you have any magic voice spray?

Jelly: Mmm. I guess not.

Peanut: I wish I could lend you my voice for a little while. That's it! I could build a voice-borrower machine and take my voice out and give it to you. (He babbles into an imaginary machine.)

Jelly: Do you know how to build a voice-borrower machine, Peanut?

Peanut: Not exactly. But it does give me an even better idea. Maybe we can all lend you our voices for a while.

Jelly: Huh?

Peanut: What if the whole Lake Hoohaw Funky Band sang with you?

Jelly: But I acted like such a show-off bigshot. Do you really think anyone would want to help me?

Peanut: I know they will, Jelly. That's what friends are for. Let's go.

(They run off to ask. Scene change-- on-stage, Flick is doing a bad comedy routine.)

Flick: So then the duck says, "well, if I quack like that, I wouldn't need to talk about her." Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ah ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. (silence, sound of crickets chirping) Man, tough crowd. (walks off-stage)

Jelly: (whispering from behind a curtain) Mayor Jeff. (whispers in his ear)

Mayor Jeff: Uh huh. (trumpet fanfare) Folks, it's time to continue with our scheduled program wi- with one slight change. Please welcome the Lake Hoohaw Funky Singers.

~~~From Our Heart (Full Cast)~~~

[Peanut]

If your dreams seem oh so far

Just remember who you are

[Munchy]

Everything may come to you

[Peanut, Butter, Munchy, Flick, Pinch and Scoot]

But to yourself you gotta be true

From the start

[Peanut]

We take what we've been given

[Peanut, Butter, Munchy, Flick, Pinch and Scoot]

From our heart

[Flick]

Everything that we do

[Peanut, Butter, Munchy, Flick, Pinch and Scoot]

Never part

[Pinch]

From the love that we're livin'

[Peanut, Butter, Munchy, Flick, Pinch and Scoot]

And to our friends we gotta be true

[Jelly]

(My voice, it's back!)

Sometimes things can go so wrong

But I know I'm not alone

Friends and family keep me strong

Deep down, I know that I belong

[Peanut, Jelly, Butter, Munchy, Flick, Pinch and Scoot]

In a mirror, you can see

Anything you wanna be

Everything may come to you

But above it all you gotta be true

From the start

[Peanut]

We take what we've been given

[Peanut, Jelly, Butter, Munchy, Flick, Pinch and Scoot]

From our heart

[Flick]

Everything that we do

[Peanut, Jelly, Butter, Munchy, Flick, Pinch and Scoot]

Never part from the love that we're livin'

And to our friends we gotta be true.

(crowd applauds and cheers, the group exits from backstage)

Peanut: Wow, what a show.

Jelly: Everybody, there's something I wanna say to all of you. I just wanna say that I'm sorry for acting like such a big showoff before. I guess I was trying so hard to be a star, I kinda forgot how to be a good friend. But you guys are the best friends an otter could ever have and I won't ever forget that again. Thanks, everybody.

Others: You're welcome!

Jelly: Now let's get back to the fair!

Others: Yeah!

(They start to walk off, but are mobbed by a crowd. Flashbulbs pop.)

Ernest: Hooray for the Lake Hoohaw Funky Singers!

(All cheer and laugh.)

No comments:

Post a Comment